You may be thinking your computer is infected with a computer virus. Maybe your computer is slower than it used to be or you are seeing strange popups. Regardless, you’re concerned and want to know what to do. You’ve come to the right place. This article will give you a quick overview of just what an infection may look like and then how to diagnosis it for yourself.
Symptoms of a computer virus
There are many possible symptoms of a computer virus being on your computer. Here are a list of the most common ones:
- Your computer is much slower than it used to be
- There are lots of popup windows, some may even be for pornographic material
- Your internet connection is very slow or even intermittent
- Your files may be missing
- Applications won’t start on your computer
- Your antivirus software may have been disabled or even uninstalled
- You see windows or applications using a language different than your own as if they have been changed
- You lose control over your system and it starts to do things on its own. Sending emails, visiting websites etc.
- You may receive very specific popup windows telling you that your computer is infected and offering to help you clean it
Steps to diagnose a computer virus
If you have any of the symptoms above and want to find out if you are indeed infected with a computer virus, follow these steps.
- Go to the Bitdefender Quickscan online site
- Click on the “Start Scanner” button
- Select “Scan now”
We do not recommend Bitdefender products here. However, the reason we are recommending it for the purpose of diagnosing your computer is that it is one of the few online computer virus scanners that do not require you download anything. It wills can your computer completely online. Most modern computer viruses would lock files form being downloaded and thus, prevent the scanner from working.
If you find out you do have a computer virus, its best to contact a computer virus specialist. Modern viruses can be very nasty and damaging to remove. h